'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins Talks Studio Relationship, Gal Gadot, And More

One of the hotly anticipated upcoming superhero films that is coming out this year is the Patty Jenkins-directed Wonder Woman, and for the most part it has been nothing but good will being sent out about it. With many eagerly waiting to see it, the plot details and overall inner workings about the film have obviously been put under lock and key. But now thanks to recent edit bay visit reports we now know some things that about the film.

Jenkins on working with Warner Bros. and on whether a specific tone was mandated:

“From my point of view, there is no mandate on tone that I experienced. So I think every filmmaker is making their own movies in the tone that they see right for that movie and I had no pressure on me to not do the same. […] I don’t think there is one tone. Chris Nolan had a serious tone and Zack [Snyder] has a different tone that’s also serious in a different way, so I think it became a perception there was one tone, but that’s not what I’ve heard encouraged.”

On how the two visions, from Warner and Jenkins respectively came together in a harmonious fashion:

“They came to a place, before or during making [Batman V Superman], where they decided they were going to make Wonder Woman. The great thing is, they decided to do her origin story and I was like [claps hands] yes! That’s what I’ve been standing here waiting to do for all these years! Her origin story. I want to do the Wonder Woman that I love, that I grew up loving.”

On how much creative influence Jenkins had despite Zack Snyder and co. already had Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman:

“They’d cast this wonderful person, they’d made this incredible costume, but that’s it really. They had, like, laid the story out of like, we could tell this version of the story, we’re taking this from the original comic and we’re mixing a little [George] Pérez… But besides that we were completely left on our own. [Batman V Superman] wasn’t even done, so nobody had seen it, nobody knew anything… I didn’t see that movie until I was halfway through this… They were super supportive. They’ve been great at being like, you’re the director we’ve picked, this is how you want to go about it."


Following up from this Jenkins went on to say that the casting decision was a stroke of genius saying:

“I had been talking to DC for a long time, and I remember reading in the paper when they cast her and I was like, ‘Ugh, they cast somebody, I can’t believe it. That was the movie I always wanted to do.’ But it wasn’t active at that time. But then genuinely – and I honestly couldn’t mean this more, it’s a lesson to me in how things can happen all kinds of different ways, because I’m very picky about casting… To my great surprise [Gal Gadot] is the greatest person in the universe who could have played [Wonder Woman]. They did an amazing job casting her.”

The helmer does have ideas for the future of this character albeit not saying specifics explaining with:

"[There are] many, many things I can’t wait to do with her. She’s got a lot of shades that I really really like. I think whatever we get to do with her in the future, the great thing is this is the way to start."

Switching over to the villainous side of the film, Jenkins gave some insight about Dr. Maru (Elena Anaya), one of the film’s key villains:

“[Dr. Maru is] an interesting character because, you know, we don’t get super into her backstory, but we know her backstory, which is that she’s a woman who has had all kinds of damage in her life, and now she delights in bringing – and I’ve known people like this – delights in bringing that to other people’s lives… There is that way of being a damaged and dark person where you’re waiting for other people to face that wrath too.”

The director is very much aware about the pressures involved in making such an iconic female superhero film adding:

"I think we’re in this very interesting time where these issues have been around for a long time, but a lot of different people are saying, ‘Actually, not that much has changed for all of us.’ And so I think it’s a hotbed topic regardless. What I like and want to be a part of is the next wave, which is like where, yes, it’s going to bring up a lot of conversation about it, but the next wave is where we can just start making universal movies about other kinds of people, and not have it be an issue. Just say like, ‘Yes, this is a universal movie about a person wanting to be a hero – this one happens to be a woman.’ And that’s, I think, the real challenge, and so I went forward with that attitude."

While the film is set nearly 100 years ago and has many strong female characters from Themyscira, Jenkins again noted that this will remain a universal film:

"It’s interesting and it ends up being funny because this sexism comes to the fore, because she’s walking into 1918 and she’s completely oblivious… she just keeps being completely confused, she would never know about it. And so there ends up being accidental comments about it, but I also went into it not making a movie about a woman at all. I’m making a movie about Wonder Woman, who I love, who to me is one of the great superheroes. And so I just treat her like a universal character. That’s what I think is the next step, is when we  can start doing that more and more and the studios have confidence to do that."



Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when an American pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers…and her true destiny.

Wonder Woman stars Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, Chris Pine as Steve Trevor, Robin Wright as General Antiope, Connie Nielsen as Queen Hippolyta, Lucy Davis as Etta Candy, David Thewlis, Danny Huston, Elena Anaya, Ewen Bremner and Saïd Taghmaoui. The film is directed by Patty Jenkins and written by Allan Heinberg and Geoff Johns, story by Zack Snyder & Allan Heinberg.

Wonder Woman
is slated for release on June 2, 2017

Source: ScreenRant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check Out Over 60 'Wonder Woman' Stills Featuring Gal Gadot, Patty Jenkins, And More

'The Mummy' Trailer Introduces Us To Princess Amunet

Final 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Trailers & Posters Released

HIGH-RES GALLERY: 'Wonder Woman' Stills & Posters

Check Out Tom Holland And Co. In High-Res 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Stills